- Drink water all day, not just before or after your run. Staying hydrated also helps prevent some of the symptoms you may experience from exercising in heat such as dizziness, stomach cramps, and headaches. During your run, make sure you are taking regular water breaks at least every 15 to 20 minutes.
- Exercise during the cooler times of the day. I'm not a morning person so my favorite time of day is the evening. Lately I've been waiting until around 8:00 to head out. That is just about the time the sun begins to go down and the town is shady! If you can't run that late, hit the pavement bright and early.
- Run where it's cooler. When we lived down south, my favorite place to run long runs was ocean drive. Running with the breeze of the beach is amazing. Another great place is trails. Several of my friends have taken to trail running this summer. Their pictures make me so jealous! If we had some good trails nearby...that's where I'd be!
- Slow your pace. Slowing your pace is a wise choice when running in the heat. It's also ok, to run intervals of running and walking to prevent overheating! My pace on hot days is usually 30 seconds to 1 minute slower.
- Try some cooler means of cardio. I haven't done this yet, but I just found out about water zumba and water boot camp that is local and I'm considering giving that a try as the temperatures keep rising!
- Go for the indoors. My final resort is to head indoors for exercise. You can get a membership at your local gym or exercise in the comforts of your own home. Considering I have little ones at home, my home is the best choice for me! I don't dread the treadmill! I actually enjoy running on it!
If you have anymore tips for running or exercising in the summer heat... Please share!