I recently purchases a jar of organic coconut oil. I've started using it on my children's skin. All three of my biological children have a genetic skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris. It is a pretty common skin condition. It has the appearance of rough, slightly red, bumps on the skin. It most often appears on the back and outer sides of the arm (though the forearm can also be affected), and can also occur on the thighs, legs, hands, side, and butt. This can be a nuisance for a teenager who lives and spends a lot of time at the beach in a swim suit. I recently read about some of the benefits of using coconut oil and have decided to give it a try. Many have had great results with it.
Here are a few other benefits from coconut oil that recently caught my eye.
- Treatment of several skin conditions. Including (the one above, psoriasis, eczema)
- Taken supplementally for daily energy.
- On the skin as a basic lotion
- As an eye-makeup remover
- As a cloth diaper safe diaper cream (just rub on baby’s bottom)
- A tiny dab rubbed on your hands and then through hair will help get rid of friz
- Rubbed on lips as a natural chap stick
- As an incredibly intensive natural conditioner- Rub into dry hair, put a shower cap on and leave for several hours.
- Can help improve insulin levels
- As a replacement for vegetable oils in any recipe
- Can help reduce appearance of varicose veins
- Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites
- Can be rubbed into scalp daily to stimulate hair growth ( I may try this on the hubs :))
- Can help speed weight loss when consumed daily (coconut is a superfood!)
- I've also read it can help improve allergy and if rubbed in the nose can help with allergy symptoms.